Mercury Retrograde Spell
I first created this spell in January 2023. It was an upgrade of an older spell I learned years ago. The intention is to ask Mercury for his blessing during a retrograde. Every time I've remembered to do it, I've had super smooth retrogrades, and every time I forgot... Phew! Rough roads.
Since most deities love praise, I've added an invocation. Being an initiate of the Covenant of Hekate, I prefer Orphic Hymns. I'll include the one I used at the bottom. However, you could only say, "Mercury, I invoke thee!" Or something more poetic like, "Oh, mighty Mercury, fleet-footed messenger of the gods, god of travelers, translators, communicators, good fortune, wealth, and fertility, I invoke thee and ask for your blessing and guidance."
The crux of the spell is lighting an orange candle, then writing out a petition. Is there something you need to achieve during Mercury Retrograde that can't wait for it to go direct? Ask for his blessing to smooth the way for assured success. If you don't know what to ask for, try clear communication, positive energy, safe travel, health, protection, or prosperity.
Here's what you'll need:
Something to carve it
Lighter or match
Mint (for healing)
Lavender (for protection and peace)
Frankincense (resin* or incense)
Resin* or incense holder
*Self-lighting charcoal if using resin
Peppermint Oil (to raise vibrations)
Green Man store's Mercury Retrograde oil (optional)
Paper (or parchment if you have it)
Pen or pencil
Cauldron (or metal bowl, sink, fire pit, or fireplace)
Orphic Hymn to Mercury (or write your own invocation)
1. Gather your ingredients.
2. Set your sacred space.
3. Light your charcoal and add resin or light your incense.
4. Sit for a moment and quiet your mind. Think about what you want to accomplish during Mercury Retrograde. Expel all negative energy and doubt. Breathe.
5. Carve the sigil of Mercury into your candle.
6. Anoint your candle with oil by filling in the carved sigil and rubbing oil onto the candle toward you.
7. Mix your mint and lavender.
8. Roll the candle in it. (It's OK if only a little bit sticks.)
9. Set it into your candle holder.
10. Sprinkle the herb mix around it.
11. Set your hematite next to the candle.
12. Invoke Mercury.
13. Light your candle.
14. Write on your paper what you want Mercury to bless.
15. Burn your written petition in the candle's flame, then drop the burning paper into a cauldron, metal bowl, fire pit, etc.
16. Let your candle burn down and toss all your ashes and spell leftovers in an environmentally safe way.
17. So mote it be!
The Orphic Hymn to Mercury
The Fumigation from Frankincense
Hermes, draw near, and to my pray'r incline,
Angel of Jove, and Maia's son divine;
Prefect of contest, ruler of mankind,
With heart almighty, and a prudent mind.
Celestial messenger of various skill,
Whose pow'rful arts could watchful Argus kill.
With winged feet 'tis thine thro' air to course,
O friend of man, and prophet of discourse;
Great life-supporter, to rejoice is thine
In arts gymnastic, and in fraud divine.
With pow'r endu'd all language to explain,
Of care the loos'ner, and the source of gain.
Whose hand contains of blameless peace the rod,
Corucian, blessed, profitable God.
Of various speech, whose aid in works we find,
And in necessities to mortals kind.
Dire weapon of the tongue, which men revere,
Be present, Hermes, and thy suppliant hear;
Assist my works, conclude my life with peace,
Give graceful speech, and memory's increase.